“When the buying stops, the killing can too.” WildAid aims to end the illegal wildlife trade in our lifetimes by reducing demand through public awareness campaigns. Every year, hundreds of millions of dollars are spent protecting animals in the wild, yet virtually nothing is spent on stemming the $10 billion dollar’s worth of trade in wildlife parts and products. WildAid is the only organization focused on reducing the demand for these products. Currently, WildAid reaches over 1 billion consumers across 35 different platforms through over 50 media partnerships. Based in San Francisco, CA, WildAid is a global wildlife conservation organization that harnesses the power of communication for conservation.
The Communications Manager Role
WildAid’s unique approach of leveraging the power of communication to stem the demand for illegal wildlife products makes the Communications Manager (CM) role critical to success. Reporting to the Managing Director, the CM will oversee WildAid’s communications, public relations, and new media outreach. The successful candidate will bring creativity and resourcefulness to build WildAid’s multimedia and on-line presence, increase public awareness, and support fundraising efforts.
Specific responsibilities include:
· Develop, implement, and manage a comprehensive communications plan with measurable targets in order to expand new media presence (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, YouTube)
· Create compelling content for a variety of communications vehicles, including social media, press kits, employee communications, monthly newsletter, and press releases
· Oversee certain video and audio productions, including negotiating and managing pro bono creative services
· Leverage and expand media relations in order to bring positive and consistent attention to the mission and work
· Identify and secure PR opportunities for leadership participation
· Steward WildAid’s high quality organizational brand
The Candidate Profile
Key skills that WildAid is looking for in an ideal candidate include:
· Exceptional communication skills; written, spoken, and visual
· Demonstrated experience using digital/social media
· Self starter comfortable in an entrepreneurial, start-up culture
· Experience with video and audio production and/or other creative services
· Hands-on management of a comprehensive communications program
· Experience working with the media and leveraging PR opportunities
· Proven ability to lead strategy and personally implement it
The candidate should have a minimum of five years related work experience. Excellent writing and editing skills are necessary for the role, as is extensive experience in new media. Personal qualities of integrity and dedication to WildAid’s mission are important. A Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, public relations, journalism, or a related field is required.
How To Apply
WildAid is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply. To be considered, please submit your resume and a cover letter expressing your passion for the mission and fit for the role in single PDF document to email@example.com. No phone calls please.